"There had been a school for boys and girls on a different site in Dinton since 1783. In 1818 some 80 children attended that school kept by the parish clerk with the assistance of three women. In 1859 about 60 children, including those from Teffont Magna and Baverstock, were taught there by a mistress, assisted in the mornings by a master. A bequest of £100 was made to the school in the will of Thomas Barnes, proved in 1864. By 1872 the school had moved into a new building. This was built with financial aid from the State, the National Society, and Magdalen College, Oxford, in its present site on the south side of the main Salisbury-Hindon road. The school was given controlled status in 1950, and in 1962 there were 3 teachers and 75 children."
From: 'Dinton', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 8: Warminster, Westbury and Whorwellsdown Hundreds (1965), pp. 25-34. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16074
This is a map of the village from 1896:
After the 1945 Education Act it became a church voluntary controlled school. This means that our school is financed similarly to all other community schools but enjoys the influence and support of the church.
About Dinton and local villages
Dinton is a village located in the Nadder valley, seven miles West of Salisbury, in Wiltshire. It has a population of around 600 people.
To find out more about Dinton and other local villages in the school's catchment area, click on the links to Wikipedia below:
Dinton's village church is St. Mary's.
Click on the link below to find out more about St. Mary's church: